Martin Aitken & Co, Caledonia House, 89 Seaward Street, Glasgow G41 1HJ.View larger map
Martin Aitken & Co, Glasgow
September 17, 8:00am-11:00am
Many people on social enterprise and charity boards are volunteers. But being a volunteer doesn’t equate to being an amateur. Many social enterprises are receipt of public funds, and with that they are charged with ensuring that not only is the money put to good use, but the structures, controls and procedures that govern how that money is used will stand up to professional scrutiny and oversight.
Do all of your directors and/or trustees understand governance and the range of potential risks that the enterprise could face? Does the enterprise have appropriate controls, strategies and action plans in place to address the identified risks?
In other words, are you governing the enterprise effectively and will it stand up to challenge?
What will the session cover?
- Governance – what is it and what’s involved e.g. organisational purpose, leadership, board behaviour, control and effectiveness (taking into account the Scottish Governance Code for the Third Sector)
- Directors and Trustees roles and responsibilities.
- Financial controls and risk management – establishing the right foundations that will enable the enterprise to become sustainable and resilient.
- Getting the principles of good governance embedded into the organisation.
- Financial accounting, external audit requirements and the Directors/trustees annual report.
- Recurring themes and pitfalls: risks and everyday challenges that will arise from your day-to-day operations, their impacts and taking preventative and corrective actions.
- VAT rates + reclaims: VAT for charities and Social Enterprises is a bit of a minefield and there seems to be a lot of confusion in this area. In this session we will look at common pitfalls and provide more information to the different types of charitable income and which are within and outwith the scope of VAT.
Who should attend?
Directors, trustees and financial managers from social enterprise: start-ups, early stage and social enterprises looking to take their business to the next level.
Book your place now.